Limerick families are ‘crying out for houses’

first_imgPrint Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Linkedin Email Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR NewsLocal NewsLimerick families are ‘crying out for houses’By Alan Jacques – October 30, 2014 516 Advertisement Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” center_img TAGSCllr Séighin Ó CeallaighlimerickLimerick City and County CouncilSinn Fein Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Cllr Seighin O CeallaighLIMERICK city and county Council has been asked to supply councillors in the Metropolitan area with a list of vacant or boarded up houses, and their estimated time of completion.According to City East comhairleoir Séighin Ó Ceallaigh, local people in are crying out for houses, with many families going homeless in the city.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The Sinn Fein local representative said that people need to be re-assured there is a plan in place to ensure that houses are provided as soon as possible. The most efficient way of doing this, he believes, is by allocating vacant houses to those on the social housing list.“Houses can remain vacant or boarded up for months throughout the city, and this at a time when there are many people living with relatives or in emergency accommodation. This is an issue of urgent importance and needs to be addressed and resolved immediately,” said Cmhlr Ó Ceallaigh.“Boarding up houses can lead to a much larger renovation cost and an increase in anti-social behaviour in the area. Often items are stolen including pipes and heating systems.“When a house is boarded up, quite often it is broken into ransacked, and the damage then has to be repaired before the house is allocated,” he claimed. Previous articleFormer Andersen plant offers opportunity to RathkealeNext articleUnemployed in Limerick are ‘harassed’ by Government’s dole cut threat Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed livelast_img read more

Read More
Former Fed Chair Bernanke Says DOJ Should Hold Individuals Accountable for Crisis

first_img Related Articles Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Former Federal Reserve Chairman Ben BernankeFormer Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said on Thursday that he believes the U.S. government should have sought the prosecution of individuals for their roles in precipitating the 2008 financial crisis rather than companies.Bernanke, who headed the U.S. central bank from 2006 to 2014, told the BBC that the Department of Justice should have attempted to hold individuals accountable for the crisis instead of companies because it was the decisions of individuals, and not the companies themselves, that brought on the crisis.”Perhaps that would have given us more clarity about whether these actions were irresponsible, illegal, whatever that would have been,” Bernanke said.When asked if individuals should have gone to jail for their decisions that led to the crisis, Bernanke replied, “Some individuals did go to jail, but certainly we could have gotten a better sense of what responsibility there was and what penalties would be appropriate for that.”Last month, the DOJ issued a memo to all U.S. state attorneys general stating that it will pursue the prosecution of individuals whose actions brought on the Great Recession of seven years ago. The Department has settled with several large banks over the crisis, including JPMorgan Chase (a then-record $13 billion in November 2013), Citi ($7 billion in July 2014), and Bank of America (a record $16.65 billion in August 2014) for selling toxic-mortgage backed securities to investors in the run-up to the crisis. “Some individuals did go to jail, but certainly we could have gotten a better sense of what responsibility there was and what penalties would be appropriate for that.”Deputy attorney general Sally Q. Yates stated in the memo that, “One of the most effective ways to combat corporate misconduct is by seeking accountability from the individuals who perpetuated the wrongdoing. Such accountability is important for several reasons: it deters future illegal activity, it incentivizes changes in corporate behavior, it ensures that the proper parties are held responsible for their actions, and it promotes the public’s confidence in our justice system.” Tagged with: 2008 Financial Crisis Ben Bernanke Department of Justice Federal Reserve Settlements  Print This Post Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Home / Daily Dose / Former Fed Chair Bernanke Says DOJ Should Hold Individuals Accountable for Crisis Previous: Ask the Economist: How Have Zero Interest Rates Affected the Housing Industry? Next: Speaker of the House Candidates Come From Contrasting Housing States 2008 Financial Crisis Ben Bernanke Department of Justice Federal Reserve Settlements 2015-10-09 Brian Honea The Week Ahead: Nearing the Forbearance Exit 2 days ago Brian Honea’s writing and editing career spans nearly two decades across many forms of media. He served as sports editor for two suburban newspaper chains in the DFW area and has freelanced for such publications as the Yahoo! Contributor Network, Dallas Home Improvement magazine, and the Dallas Morning News. He has written four non-fiction sports books, the latest of which, The Life of Coach Chuck Curtis, was published by the TCU Press in December 2014. A lifelong Texan, Brian received his master’s degree from Amberton University in Garland. in Daily Dose, Featured, Government, News Former Fed Chair Bernanke Says DOJ Should Hold Individuals Accountable for Crisis October 9, 2015 1,101 Views center_img Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Sign up for DS News Daily Share Save Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago Subscribe About Author: Brian Honea Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days agolast_img read more

Read More
Newcastle head coach Steve McClaren hints at signing new striker in January

first_img Press Association Newcastle head coach Steve McClaren has hinted the club could be in the market for a striker when the January transfer window opens. The Magpies always looked a frontman short when they added only £14.5million Serbia international Aleksandar Mitrovic to their pool of attackers during the summer with injury having deprived McClaren of Papiss Cisse and Emmanuel Riviere for long periods during the first half of the campaign. QPR’s Charlie Austin was among the men the club actively courted to no avail with his £15million price-tag way beyond what they would have been prepared to pay, but with goals having been at a premium to date, they need to do something to either increase firepower, or at least provide better service for Mitrovic. center_img McClaren has been reticent when quizzed on the subject of the winter window, but asked if he could understand the desperation of fans to know the club’s plans, he replied: “Absolutely. Absolutely. “I understand fully where you’re coming from, believe you me. I think I’ve said enough to say that we do need more goals and that we’re working behind the scenes to address that.” Mitrovic is likely to lead the line again at Arsenal on Saturday as Newcastle attempt to end a three-game winless run, although the former Anderlecht player has only three goals to his name so far this season. However, with Cisse visiting a London specialist for a second opinion on his groin injury and Riviere just back in training after a long-term knee problem, McClaren has little option. The former England boss’ assertion that the Frenchman will be like a new signing when he returns to the squad was greeted with scorn by fans who have seen him struggle to adapt to life in England’s top flight. But McClaren has simply not had a chance to watch Riviere in action yet and is keen to see what he has to offer. He said: “I’ve only seen a week of him training, that’s it. He’s been injured ever since (he was appointed) so I’ve not seen him. I’ve just seen a couple of videos from last season. “He seems a lad who gives 100 per cent, total effort and at the present moment we need to help Mitrovic. “We know we’re not scoring enough goals. We know, you know, everybody knows what we’re doing. We’re not scoring enough goals at the present moment.” last_img read more

Read More