Brookhaven Man Fatally Struck by SUV

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York An 81-year-old man was fatally struck by an SUV while walking down a street near his Brookhaven home on Tuesday afternoon.Suffolk County police said James Redman was walking on Old South Country Road when his 71-year-old neighbor, Lynn Leistman, backed into him with her Toyota Highlander at 12:45 p.m.Redman was taken to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in East Patchogue where he died shortly later. Leistman was not injured.Fifth Squad detectives are continuing the investigation and ask that two other pedestrians walking on Old South Country Road at the time contact them at 631-854-8552.last_img read more

Read More
Sweden’s AP7 cuts six companies from investment universe

first_imgAP7 has now blacklisted a total of 14 companies in 2017, it said. These include a number of firms linked to the controversial Dakota Access Pipeline project in the US.Two companies, alternative investments manager Brookfield Asset Management and Australian agriculture group Wesfarmers, have been reintroduced into AP7’s investment universe.As of 15 June, AP7 excluded 67 companies.The Ethical Council for Sweden’s AP funds system, which advises the six funds on ethical issues, said in its annual report for 2016 that engagement was a more sustainable and effective strategy than simply divesting from stocks.Peter Lundkvist, senior strategist and head of corporate governance at AP3 as well chairman of the Ethical Council, said in an interview with IPE earlier this year: “The Ethical Council has during the past 10 years worked with engagement as a means to solve problems and incidents that occur in business operations of investee companies. It is a sustainable strategy instead of selling the companies.”Norway’s Government Pension Fund Global, the world’s biggest sovereign wealth fund, reported in March that excluding companies by blacklisting them had cost it 1.1% of performance in 11 years. AP7 has followed through on plans to blacklist several companies on climate change grounds.Sweden’s SEK343bn (€35bn) national default fund announced yesterday it had dropped six companies from its investment universe, including oil giant Exxon and Russian gas company Gazprom.It has also blacklisted North American companies Entergy, Southern Corp, Transcanada Corp, and Westar. AP7 said the companies were all in breach of the Paris Agreement on climate change.In December, the pension fund said it was reviewing its stakes in the six companies, worth a collective €300m.last_img read more

Read More
AVB: Bale to miss season opener

first_img The Welshman’s future has been the subject of much speculation throughout the summer, with Bale closely linked with a world record move to Real Madrid. The 24-year-old sat out Wales’ goalless draw against the Republic of Ireland on Wednesday night with a foot injury and manager Chris Coleman admitted questions over Bale’s future had dominated the build-up to the game. Spurs open their new campaign at newly promoted Crystal Palace on Sunday before they take on Dinamo Tbilisi in the Europa League the following Thursday. When asked if Bale would feature at Selhurst Park on Sunday, Villas-Boas told Sky Sports News: “No, because he’s been out injured for most of pre-season. “He was involved in the games against Brentford and Swindon but not any others, for different reasons; he pulled a muscle in his gluteus that prevented him from being involved for two weeks and he’s been complaining of pain in the foot. “I think the most natural thing is to see him not involved against Palace.” Real have maintained a constant public campaign to try to woo Bale this summer, with a number of senior players admitting they would love the Tottenham forward to join them at the Bernabeu. Tottenham and Real have yet to come to an agreement over the transfer of Bale despite weeks of speculation that the 24-year-old is set to move to the nine-time European champions. Bale has reportedly made it clear he wants to leave Spurs for the Spanish capital, but chairman Daniel Levy is said to be demanding a fee in excess of the £80million that Real paid Manchester United for Cristiano Ronaldo four years ago. The saga is set to continue with the transfer window open until Monday, September 2. Gareth Bale will not be involved in Tottenham’s start to the Premier League season, manager Andre Villas-Boas has announced.center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More
Men’s water polo to face Stanford on the road

first_imgJunior driver Marin Dasic has scored 21 goals this season after scoring 29 last season. He earned NCAA All-Tournament team and All-MPSF Honorable Mention as a freshman. (Josh Dunst | Daily Trojan)After a sweep of all five matchups last weekend, No. 1 USC looks to boost its record to 18-0 as it travels to Palo Alto to face No. 3 Stanford on Saturday.Sophomore drivers Marco Vavic and Jacob Mercep lead the team in scoring with 39 and 31 goals, respectively. Freshman goalies Nic Porter and Sam Krutong anchor the defense with 50 and 47 saves, respectively.The Cardinal enter the game also undefeated with an 8-0 record, their best start to the season since 2015. Five of those victories have been over nationally-ranked teams, making them USC’s highest-ranked opponent so far in 2018. The Trojans have won eight straight games over Stanford.“It’ll be a bit of a daunting experience for some of the new guys on the team,” Porter said. “It’s going to be very exciting for us and we’ll do our best to make sure that … the younger guys are more than up to the task. We’ll get a win on the road.”After heavy conditioning last week in training for a five-game weekend, head coach Jovan Vavic has been focusing on tactical work to prepare for the Stanford match.The Trojans are looking to continue to work on building a cohesive dynamic on Saturday, a priority this season given so many young players on the roster. “We’re coming up against a strong group of players at Stanford, and we’re going to have to match that and be better,” Porter said. “There’s not really one thing in particular we’re looking to work on. [We’re] just trying to sort out every aspect of our game as a team and do everything we can to get that win.”Stanford junior driver Bennett Williams and sophomore driver Tyler Abramson with 25 and 24 goals, respectively, lead the Cardinal’s offense. Williams has scored in all eight matches this season, scoring multiple points in six of those games. Redshirt senior goalie Oliver Lewis mans the posts, averaging 12.5 saves and 4.7 goals against per game.  The game holds special meaning for sophomore transfer driver Sawyer Rhodes, who played for Stanford last season and has scored 9 goals in six games as a Trojan. “I mean there’s a lot of emotions,” Rhodes said. “It’ll be my first time back on campus at Stanford, so I’m really excited. [I’m as] nervous as I am before any big game, so I think that’s good. This is what we’ve been training hard for, and we’ve played 17 games but haven’t had a challenge yet. So this will be our first one so we’ll see how good we really are.”Rhodes scored 23 goals as a true freshman at Stanford last year, one of which came against USC in the pool that is now his home. On Sunday, the Trojans return to Uytengsu Aquatics Center for a matchup against No. 16 San Jose State at noon. San Jose State enters the matchup with a 4-4 record after losing to Stanford 16-3 last week. Mercep, who played for San Jose State last season was a scoring powerhouse with 93 goals for the Spartans last season. The loss of Mercep will be a hit to the Spartans, who are now led by top scorer sophomore Justin Pickering’s 13 goals and freshman goalie Yahav Fire’s 9.2 saves-per-game average. USC has won six straight matchups against San Jose State. The Stanford game will be broadcast on Pac-12 Los Angeles and Pac-12 Bay Area and will also be streamed online.last_img read more

Read More
Rookie Jose Suarez pitches Angels to victory over Rays

first_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Suarez had thrown almost exclusively fastballs and changeups in his first two starts, but in this game he mixed in 12 curves and five sliders among his 81 pitches.“That’s the worst thing as a hitter when a pitcher is using all his pitches,” catcher Kevan Smith said. “You can’t sit on one pitch. That’s what he did today. He was using his whole arsenal. … He’s a fastball-changeup guy. If we can fine-tune that slider and curveball, he’s going to be a fun guy to catch for years to come.”Suarez needed just 64 pitches to get through the first five innings Saturday, without allowing a run. He struck out three and allowed just two singles.In the sixth, though, the Rays got their third look at him, and the results were different. Avisail García lined a solid single to left and then Tommy Pham dumped a blooper into right. Austin Meadows then hit a fly ball to the warning track in center.The ballpark barely held that one, but it couldn’t hold Diaz’s drive to right-center, on a 3-and-1 changeup. The three-run homer erased much of a 4-0 lead. Suarez, who agreed this was his best, said he actually felt like he started working too fast in the sixth and lost his rhythm.Ausmus left him to face the left-handed hitting Ji-Man Choi after the homer, but then he pulled him in favor of Cam Bedrosian.“The command wasn’t quite as good,” Ausmus said. “They were making better contact. It was the third time through the lineup for them. Despite the low pitch count, I just felt like it was time to go to the bullpen.”A day after the bullpen blew a four-run lead, this time they did the job. Bedrosian picked up four outs and then Ty Buttrey and Hansel Robles each worked a scoreless inning.The Angels had built a four-run lead with a quick burst against Charlie Morton, the fourth game in a row the Angels took at least a four-run lead by the fifth inning.David Fletcher hit a two-run homer in the second and then Justin Bour hit a solo shot in the fourth. Bour has hit homers in each of the two games he’s started since coming back from Triple-A. Smith added a solo homer in the eighth to get the Angels an insurance run after Diaz cut the lead to one.It held up for a victory to flush away Friday night’s game, when they had a 4-0 lead and gave up nine unanswered runs.“It’s good to get that back,” Ausmus said. “We had a rough one yesterday out of the pen, but to come back less than 24 hours later and get the job done, it certainly makes it a lot easier to enjoy dinner.”center_img ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. —  José Suarez is continuing to show the stuff that encouraged the Angels to bring the 21-year-old to the majors.Suarez was dominant for most of his outing in the Angels’ 5-3 victory over the Tampa Bay Rays on Saturday afternoon, the team’s fourth victory in five games. All four victories have been by the same score.Suarez gave up three runs in 5-2/3 innings, all the runs scoring on a homer by Yandy Diaz in the sixth. Suarez has allowed eight runs in 16 innings over his three starts so far, but he’s had stretches within each game that showed how much better he could be.“I thought this was his best, by far,” Manager Brad Ausmus said. “I thought he gave us a chance to win in the first couple. Obviously his very first start in Seattle, we did win. But I thought in terms of pitch usage and efficiency and stuff, I thought this was his best.”last_img read more

Read More
MORE SPECIAL NEEDS ASSISTANTS URGENTLY REQUIRED IN OUR SCHOOLS – TD

first_imgDONEGAL TD Charlie McConalogue has called on the Government to lift its cap on special needs assistants and learning support and resources teachers for the next academic year, in light of the increase in the school-going population expected in September. It comes after the Minister for Education Ruairí Quinn confirmed to the Oireachtas Education Committee this week that an additional 20,000 students will enter the school system next September (10,000 at primary level and 10,000 at second level).The Minister confirmed that an additional 900 teachers will be brought in, but there will be no extra SNAs, learning support teachers or resource teachers for children with special needs. Deputy McConalogue said: “While I welcome the fact that the Minister has agreed to provide additional teachers to cater for some of this pupil increase, it is simply not good enough that there will be no additional staff for those children with special needs.“It seems that once again, it is the children with learning difficulties and intellectual disabilities who will suffer the most. Supports for children with special needs have already been severely restricted within the school system, and now these children are being side-lined in the Minister’s plans to cater for the additional intake of new pupils next year.“As with previous years, a proportion of these 20,000 new pupils to enter the school system next September will require special supports. But Minister Quinn has so far refused to provide one single extra SNA or resource teacher for them. They will just join the queue of children who have already seen significant cuts to their resource hours and special needs supports in school.“We cannot tolerate a situation where there will be far more students sharing the same capped number of SNAs and resource teachers. I am appealing to Minister Quinn to see sense, do the right thing and lift the cap next year.”  MORE SPECIAL NEEDS ASSISTANTS URGENTLY REQUIRED IN OUR SCHOOLS – TD was last modified: March 10th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Charlie McConalogueMORE SPECIAL NEEDS ASSISTANTS URGENTLY REQUIRED IN OUR SCHOOLS – TDlast_img read more

Read More