Speedy release of sick, elderly inmates mulled

first_img“Mag-setako, 70 years old or 75, 70. Hindi na marunong mag-holdup ‘yan. Hindi na makatakbo ‘yan. O kung takotka pa kay serial rapist, ipaputol nalang muna mo diyan sa founder nilabago palabasin,” Duterte added. MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte wanted toexpedite the release of sick and elderly inmates who are detained inside theNew Bilibid Prison in Muntinlupa City. Duterte, meanwhile, admitted some inmatesabove 70 years old refused to get out of the national penitentiary as they wereconsidered outcasts in the society. Duterte on Tuesday said he will ask Departmentof Justice (DOJ) secretary Menardo Guevarra and prison officials for the earlyrelease. President Rodrigo Duterte says he will ask Justice secretary Menardo Guevarra and other prison officials to expedite the release of sick and elderly inmates who are detained inside the New Bilibid Prison in Muntinlupa City. PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO “Alam moba ‘yang nasa kulungan na umabot na ng 15, 20years? Ayaw nang lumabas ‘yan,”Duterte said. “‘Yang sa penal colony,‘pag ini-release mo, maghanap ‘yan ng problema.” The NBP is one of the penal colonies under thecontrol and supervision of the Bureau of Corrections./PN “Wala na‘yan eh. Lalo na ‘yung mga 80s. What’s the use of keeping themthere?” he said. “Mag-holdupng one time ‘yan, mag-enjoy, taposgustong bumalik ng presohan. Kasi ang buhay nila for the last 20 years, nandiyan na sa kulungan. Kuntento na ‘yan sakanila,” he added.last_img read more

Read More
Judge sides with state on exam

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBasketball roundup: Sierra Canyon, Birmingham set to face off in tournament quarterfinalsThe law “simply does not contain an explicit reference to time,” Freedman wrote. Freedman’s decision does not affect his ruling last week, in which he issued a preliminary injunction that prohibited the state from penalizing students who failed the exam. That decision barred the state from withholding diplomas to students who have met all local graduation requirements other than passing the test, which took effect for the first time with this year’s senior class. SACRAMENTO – The judge who suspended California’s high school exit exam for this year’s graduating class ruled Tuesday in favor of the state in a separate lawsuit over the test. Alameda County Superior Court Judge Robert Freedman rejected a request from Californians for Justice Education to grant a writ delaying the consequences of the exam until the Legislature has time to consider alternatives. The lawsuit claims Superintendent of Public Instruction Jack O’Connell and the state Board of Education broke state law by failing to properly consider other assessments for students who can’t pass the exam. The judge agreed the state did not fully study alternatives until last year, but said the law establishing the exit exam in 1999 did not give a timeline for that required review. last_img read more

Read More