Fiery New Year start in Iloilo, Capiz, Boracay; families flee as fire razes 23…

first_imgILOILO City – On the first day of year2020 fire razed a total of 20 houses in this city, Iloilo and Capiz provinces. Regencia said there were no fireincidents in the city since Dec. 24 and he hoped this would be sustained. Families living in all these affected houseseither moved to evacuation centers or sought shelter with relatives andfriends. Fire Officer III Franklin Arubang saidthe blaze started at around 7:30 p.m. in the property of Ruel Santillan who wasoperating a boardinghouse. According to Senior Fire Officer 4Aquilino Sampiono, the fire originated from the house of Melecoton and quicklyspread to nearby houses made of light material. BFP declared a “fire out” at around 10:28 a.m. “Mahiraptayong makapasok sa nasunugan [kasi] hilly at isolated. Maliit ang daan,brownout at halos 500 meters ang layo sa barangay road,” saidArubang, adding the strong winds from the Sibuyan Sea fanned the fire, causingthe flames to spread quickly. With the quick response of the Bureauof Fire Protection (BFP), the fire was extinguished in a little over 30minutes. In Boracay Island, Malay, Aklan firedamaged three houses four hours before 2019 came to a close. December last year BFP-Iloilo recordedfive fire incidents. (With a report fromAkean Forum/PN) Short circuit sparked the fire,according to the Guimbal fire station which estimated the property damage tohave reached P1.5 million. Five houses were gutted before firementotally extinguished the fire by around 4:30 p.m. Some five hours before the Iloilo Cityfire, a house went up in smoke 29 kilometers down south in Guimbal, Iloilo. Quick-responding firefighters of theGuimbal fire station contained the blaze from spreading and declared a fire outat around 6:05 a.m. There were no reported injuries ordeaths in these two New Year fires. In the famous holiday island resort ofBoracay four hours and 30 minutes before the clock struck 12, fire broke inSitio Tulubhan, Barangay Manoc-Manoc and razed three houses. As of this writing, the BFP was stillascertaining the cause of the fire and the damage incurred. “Mayisang bahay doon na walang tao dahil halos lahat nasa trabaho. Karamihan mga workers at boarders ang nakatira sa nasunugan,” Arubang said. In Capiz, fire struck a residentialarea in Barangay Ilaya, Pontevedra town at around 1:35 p.m. Fire gobbled up a two-storey house inBarangay Nanga, Guimbal at around 3:57 a.m. The totally destroyed house were ownedby Baquio Rogador, Totong Depra, Jonathan Gancia, Estrella Melecoton, JohnLibuna, Leonito Libuna, Elmer Macaya, Celso Conde, and Albert Compliza whilethe partially damaged ones were owned by Fred Marbebe, Florence Paglumutan,Andong Gallardo, and Keneth Rhoy Buenafe. The New Year blaze was electrical in nature, preliminary investigation of the Iloilo City Fire Station showed. Here, fire struck 14 houses in Zone 4,Barangay Sambag, Jaro district at around 9 a.m. yesterday. Ten of these houseswere totally gutted. BFP-Iloilo City had been on red alertsince Dec. 27. Two days before the New Yearcelebrations, the BFP in Iloilo City expressed hope there won’t be fireincidents. But just in case fire erupted, ChiefInspector Christopher Regencia, city fire marshal, said BFP-Iloilo City had 50fire officers and 12 fire trucks on standby to respond. These were on top of fire volunteerorganizations in the city, said Regencia. The BFP-Boracay substation, BoracayFire Rescue and Ambulance Volunteers, Boracay Island Water Company, BoracayTubi System Inc., and Kabalikat Civicom 961 Boracay responded to the fireincident. The fire left an estimated propertydamage of P150,000. Arson investigators of the BFP have yetto determine the cause of the blaze.last_img read more

Read More
Delph returns to Villa training

first_img However, Paul Lambert revealed the Yorkshireman is making good progress since having surgery and was able to make a tentative return to training this week. The Villa boss, also without key defenders Ron Vlaar and Philippe Senderos at the moment, said: “Fabian’s coming on, he trained with the team today. “It’s non-contact at the minute but he’s doing really well. “Ron will maybe do a bit of training on Saturday with the team, he’s more advanced than Philippe. He’s coming on. I’d like to think we can get into the new year with both of them back. “That’s the target, though we can’t put too much pressure on them. And if things go well with Philippe, maybe we can get him back by the end of the month. “Slowly but surely we’re starting to get guys back.” Lambert has taken stick from some supporters recently as Villa show signs of heading for another flirt with relegation but he insists things are not as bad as many suggest. Ahead of Sunday’s clash with Leicester, he said: “We’re sitting 12th at the moment, two points behind Everton, who had a massive season last year, so it’s not all doom and gloom. It’s the media who portray that. “We are where we are. We had a hard run of games but we’re undefeated in the last four matches and they’ve been tough, tough games for us but we’re slowly but surely getting there.” Midfielder Joe Cole has been ruled out for around two weeks with a hamstring injury suffered in Tuesday’s win over Crystal Palace but Lambert hopes he can return sooner. Press Association The 25-year-old dislocated his shoulder in October and was ruled out until the end of December. Delph, who has impressed since breaking into Roy Hodgson’s side this season, missed England’s recent Euro 2016 qualifier against Slovenia and the friendly against Scotland as well as crucial Barclays Premier League games for Villa. center_img England midfielder Fabian Delph returned to training on Friday as he fights to return for some of Aston Villa’s Christmas fixtures. last_img read more

Read More
Joyce Extra: San Francisco Woman Attacked by Homeless Man, Gets Released By Judge

first_imgSometimes I worry for my daughter and grandchildren. Read the full story here@GavinNewsom Please watch this video of me getting attacked at my front door less than 72-hrs ago. The man who attacked me was released this morning because the judge, Christine Van Aken believes that this man is not a danger to our community. PLEASE SAVE OUR CITY!! #savesf pic.twitter.com/XGzmtSLQpP— Paneez Kosarianfard (@paneezkosarian) August 15, 2019last_img

Read More
GSA Eagles Remain on Top In Class C Softball Rankings

first_img State budget vs. job creation – January 22, 2015 Bio Latest posts by admin (see all) Latest Posts ELLSWORTH — Two of the hottest teams in Eastern Maine Class C softball can be found right here in Hancock County.Righthander Tashia Daley has returned to the pitcher’s circle for the Sumner Tigers after recovering from knee surgery. Daley made her debut at Blue Hill last week, striking out 10 batters in a 6-5 loss.—HUGH BOWDENThe high-flying George Stevens Academy Eagles have boosted their record to 7-1, thanks in no small part to the standout pitching of righthander Lydia Clapp.The Eagles are well ahead of the rest of the field at the top of this week’s Eastern Maine Class C standings.Close behind GSA in record are the 6-1 Sumner Tigers, whose only loss so far was 6-5 in extra innings last week to GSA at Blue Hill.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textThe Tigers are ranked only 10th in the Class C standings, but likely improved their position with wins on Monday over Narraguagus and Tuesday against Orono. In Class B, the Bucksport Golden Bucks are 4-3 after Tuesday’s 10-6 loss to the Old Town Coyotes and are ranked fifth.Also in Class B, the 2-6 Ellsworth Eagles got their first wins last week, taking both ends of a doubleheader with Caribou; but those wins are not reflected in the standings, which show Ellsworth as 0-4 and ranked at the bottom.The 3-4 Mount Desert Island Trojans are wrongly listed at 2-5 and are shown as 13th in Class B.In Class D, the Deer Isle-Stonington Mariners are off to a slow 1-3 start. For more sports stories, pick up a copy of The Ellsworth American.center_img Hancock County Court News Nov. 3 thorugh Dec. 11 – January 22, 2015 House fire in Winter Harbor – October 27, 2014 adminlast_img read more

Read More
US legend Michael Johnson advised Bolt to skip London Olympics

first_imgUNITED STATES quarter mile legend Michael Johnson has revealed that he advised recently retired sprint star Usain Bolt to end his career after the high of the 2016 Rio Olympics.The 31-year-old double world record holder did eventually call time on his career following this summer’s London World Championships, but things did not go to plan for the sprinter’s swansong.In the final individual race of his career, an out of sorts looking Bolt had to settle for bronze behind longtime American rival Justin Gatlin and rising star Christian Coleman. There was also a disaster in the final race itself, a 4x100m relay, which saw the runner pull up midway down the final stretch on the anchor leg for Jamaica after sustaining a hamstring tear.“I spoke to Usain and advised him to stop after Rio,” Johnson said while speaking on Indian television show ‘Royal Stag Barrel Select Perfect Strokes’. He went on to imply that Bolt’s ability to hit peak stride likely came down to a matter of motivation.“I think after winning double gold medals (100m and 200m) in three editions of Olympics and also winning World Championship, I don’t think you have a lot of motivation left. It is very difficult to win double gold medal in successive editions of Olympics and that too thrice.”(Sportsmax)last_img read more

Read More
USC fires defensive backs coach Sanders

first_imgUSC defensive backs coach Marvin Sanders has been fired after one season with the team, USC coach Lane Kiffin announced on Thursday.Saying goodbye · USC will have a new-look secondary next season without junior cornerback Nickell Robey and two other starters. – Carlo Acenas | Daily Trojan“We wish Marvin Sanders and his family the best of luck,” Kiffin said in a statement. “Marvin did a great job for us coaching our secondary and in recruiting. But with the hiring of Clancy Pendergast as our defensive coordinator, we decided to go in a different direction based on Clancy’s desire to oversee the defensive backs unit.”The 45-year-old Sanders led a defensive unit that finished the season ranked 41st in pass efficiency and ninth nationally in interceptions, with 19.Kiffin didn’t have to go far to find a replacement, as the secondary will be overseen by Pendergast, who also looked over that unit for the Dallas Cowboys from 2000-02.USC’s defensive staff has been in flux following the departure of former defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, who is now serving  in the same position for the Dallas Cowboys. Last season, his defense allowed 24.3 points a game, which was good enough for 40th in the country. Linebackers coach Scottie Hazelton is set to become the new defensive coordinator at the University of Nevada, CBS Sports reports.The loss of Sanders raises questions about the destination of some of USC’s 2013 recruits, including five-star cornerback Jalen Ramsey. Ramsey is currently committed to the Trojans but is still being courted by the University of Florida and Florida State University. National signing day for high school players is Feb. 6.The Trojans’ secondary will have a much younger look to it next year, as it loses seniors T.J. McDonald and Jawanza Starling to graduation. Junior cornerback Nickell Robey also declared for the NFL draft. Remaining at the cornerback position are sophomore Josh Shaw, junior Torin Harris and freshman Kevon Seymour. Junior safety Demetrius Wright will also return.last_img read more

Read More
Szcezesny could play despite smoking incident

first_imgThe Poland international has been punished by the club after being caught smoking following their recent top flight defeat to Southampton.But Wenger insists that hasn’t damaged his relationship with the player.last_img

Read More
Polar Plunge Registration Open for Alpena

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisAlpena- 28 “Polar Plunges” will happen throughout Michigan this Winter, including right here in Alpena.The dive into icy and frigid waters directly benefits the Special Olympics, an organization that is celebrating 50 years. This year, folks can gather at the Sand Bar in Alpena on February 17th to join in on the fun. The Polar Plunge is put on with Law Enforcement Torch Run® Events. Registration and more information can be found at https://www.firstgiving.com/polarplunge/alpena2018AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Updates on private well testing around the CRTC Base in AlpenaNext AHS students get sneak preview of Thunder Bay International Film Festlast_img read more

Read More
Besser free family fun day this weekend will encourage S.T.E.A.M learning

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisALPENA, MICH — Anyone interested in history or science and the arts has the perfect opportunity to further explore what Besser Museum has to offer this weekend.The museum is hosting a free family fun day that will allow kids to explore the planetarium and other science, math, and technology related topics. Education coordinator, Amanda Kucharek, says there will be something for the entire family to enjoy.“It’s an open-house activity day. The planetarium is going to be open-door shows. We’re going to be playing Accidental Astronauts, which is a really fun kids’ show. So that’ll be playing all throughout the event. You can stop in and catch a little bit, or stay for the whole show.”There will also be a bounce house and astronaut ice cream while supplies last. You can drop by Besser Museum Saturday between noon and 2 p.m. Once again, the event is free.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Tags: alpena, Besser, Family Fun Day, Learning, S.T.E.A.MContinue ReadingPrevious Art on the Bay to take place in downtown Alpena this weekendNext Word on the Street: What do you like about Alpena’s Brown Trout Festival?last_img read more

Read More
U-20 World Cup final: Serbia beat Brazil in historic win

first_imgNemanja Maksimovic scored an 118th-minute goal on the counterattack to give Serbia a 2-1 victory over Brazil in extra time in the Under-20 World Cup final at North Harbour Stadium early Saturday morning.The game had been locked at 1-1 after 90 minutes, with Stanisa Mandic giving Serbia hope of their first title as an independent nation with 20 minutes remaining but Andreas Pereira equalised three minutes later.Heavy rain and strong cold winds had pounded New Zealand for the past three days and while fans were soaked during the earlier match for third place, the rain had stopped by the time the sold-out final kicked off.The Brazil goalkeeper, who had not conceded a goal since the eighth minute of their second group game against Hungary, was finally beaten when an unmarked Stanisa Mandic stroked the ball home in the 70th minute to end the streak at 571 minutes.Brazil, however, did not have to wait long for an equaliser, with Manchester United’s Pereira jinking his way past four defenders to level the match three minutes later for an excellent individual goal. Rajkovic produced another world-class save late in extra time, before his team-mates swept down field and Maksimovic was left one on one with Jean and he calmly slotted home to end Brazil’s hopes of a sixth world title. African bronzeIn the earlier match for third place, Adama Traoré produced two sensational long-range strikes to help Mali beat 10-man Senegal 3-1, first equalising with a curling left-footed free-kick in the 74th minute, 10 minutes after Senegal’s Ibrahima Wadji had opened the scoring.Traoré then blasted a right-foot shot past Ibrahima Sy before Diadie Samassekou completed the victory when he slotted home the third in added time.Sy and his Mali counterpart Djigui Diarra both saved penalties in the final 15 minutes. The Senegal defender Moussa Ba had been sent off in the final minute of the first half by the Egyptian referee, Ghead Grisha, for his second yellow card.–Follow Gary on Twitter: @garyalsmithlast_img read more

Read More