Leon SK official urges youth: Engage in backyard gardening

first_imgSome teenagers from a village in Leon, Iloilo participate in “Gulayan sa Bakuran” project in this undated photo. The Sangguniang Kabataan chairperson of Barangay Buga in the town launched the project which aims to help address concerns on the sustainability of food supply in their respective communities. JOHN MATTHEW CADIAO CAUNTICRMT FB PAGE Cauntic and the other SK members of the village sought assistance from the Department of Agriculture (DA) in Region 6 in order to launch the project. ILOILO City – To help address concerns on the sustainability of food supply in their respective communities,  an official of the Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) in the municipality of Leon encouraged the youth to engage in backyard gardening. Urban gardening and “Gulayan sa Barangay” are priority activities of the DA-6’s Plant Plant Plant Program.” (With a report from PIA/PN) DA-6 recently turned over 70 packs of assorted vegetable seeds and gardening materials such as plastic drums, water sprinklers and hoes to intensify “Gulayan sa Barangay.” “We have to understand the importance of planting and producing crops as a source of food in the community,” he said.Through this project, according to Cauntic, the young people in the villages can help sustain food availability for the residents’ daily consumption, especially during the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic.  John Matthew Cauntic, SK chairperson of Barangay Buga said they spearheaded “Gulayan sa Bakuran” project to enable the youth to develop their skills in growing crops and improving their resourcefulness by utilizing recyclable and reusable gardening materials.last_img read more

Read More
Bulldogs Winning Against Pirates

first_imgBatesville defeated Greensburg 3-2 on Monday to improve their record to 5-0 on the season and 2-0 in the EIAC.#1 Singles- Lleyton Ratcliffe defeated Trevor Foster 6-2, 7-5#2 Singles- Sam Giesting defeated Brett Stringer 6-3, 4-6, 6-2#3 Singles- Adam Scott defeated Charlie Pumphrey 6-3, 4-6, 6-3#1 Doubles- George Ritter/Cooper Williams were defeated by Logan Smith/Ben Duerstock 7-6(5), 5-7, 2-6#2 Doubles- Ben Rodgers/Brayden Worthington were defeated by Sam Bower/Isaac Tebbe, 1-6, 3-6.\\In JV, Batesville won 3-0. Lane Oesterling won in singles while the doubles teams of Jonathan Hoff/Seth Gausman and Sam Voegele/Grant Story were also winners.Batesville will play at East Central at 4:00 on Tuesday.Courtesy of Bulldogs Coach Mike McKinney.last_img read more

Read More
Ex-Liverpool star warns Richarlison after Virgil van Dijk comments

first_img Van Dijk is widely considered to be one of the best defenders in the world, winning the PFA Player of the Year award and finishing as runner-up in the Ballon d’Or last year. But ahead of this Sunday’s clash between Everton and Liverpool, Richarlison insisted there are a number of players who are better than the Reds star. Loading… “People talk a lot about him,” said Richarlison. “Yes he is a great defender but I’ve already dribbled past him. For me there are better defenders.”The Brazilian then named compatriots Thiago Silva and Marquinhos and Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos as three centre-backs he believes to be better than van Dijk.But Enrique thinks Richarlison may live to regret his comments once he takes to the field against van Dijk on Sunday.The Spaniard wrote on Instagram : “Richarlison an advice for next time. Speak after the game mate now you got vvd mad. Let’s see what happens. Come on reds!!” Former Liverpool defender Jose Enqirue has warned Richarlison that his comments about Virgil van Dijk will have made the Dutchman “mad” ahead of the Merseyside derby. Van Dijk and Richarlison are set to face off again in this Sunday’s derbyAdvertisement Read Also: Video: Crazy Sevilla defending from Lionel Messi free kickRicharlison found the back of the net in the reverse fixture at Anfield, but Everton slumped to a 5-2 defeat in what was Marco Silva’s last match in the Toffees hot seat.The 23-year-old – signed from Watford last summer for an initial fee of £35million – has impressed this season by scoring 10 goals in 27 Premier League games.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 last_img read more

Read More
Family faces hate related charges after finding teen daughter’s boyfriend in closet

first_imgThree people are currently facing hate related charges among others after they allegedly held a teen against his will, yelled racial slurs at him, and beat him after they found him hiding in their 15-year-old daughter’s bedroom closet.The incident was reported, Thursday afternoon in California.Officials say the family identified as girl’s mother, 46-year-old Haydee Arguello, 46-year-old her stepfather, Wilfredo Amaya, and her biological father, 49- year-old Luisandor Suarez, came home around 2:30 am that morning to find their daughter’s 17-year-old boyfriend hiding in their daughter’s closet.The teen says the family “became irate and started assaulting” him. The family was said to have used rope to tie up the teen for several hours while they hit him and reportedly yelled racial slurs at him.The family’s older daughter’s told reporter, however, that it was the teen that attacked their family and that the family was forced to use a rope to restrain him but never harmed the victim.“They were so scared because they found someone in the closet,” Belkys Gomez told ABC San Francisco affiliate KGO. “They jumped because everyone was sleeping and this guy started kicking my stepfather and trying to kill him.”“He punched her and then my stepdad, of course, is not going to let anyone hit his wife. They tried to stop him and he was acting very violent so they grabbed a rope to try to tie him down and ask him why he was at the house,” Katherine Gomez said.While the family members of the suspects maintain that they did not abuse the victim and that was the victim, neighbors told investigators that they could hear the victim repeatedly scream out in pain.The suspects have each been charged with multiple felonies relating to committing a hate crime, kidnapping, assault with a deadly weapon and criminal threats and are currently being held without bail.The 15-year-old daughter has since been placed into the care of Child Protective Services.last_img read more

Read More
Newcastle Utd Signs Playmaker for Club-record Fee of £20m

first_img“I’m very happy and eager to start and to meet my new team-mates,” he said.“The league is very competitive, this is a historic club, and Rafa Benitez himself were the main reasons why I am here now.“I think it is a great responsibility, something beautiful for me, and I will try to offer the best I can to repay the trust the club put in me.”Capped 13 times by his country, Almiron is highly regarded in his homeland for his football intelligence, pace and left foot.Almiron started his career at Cerro Porteno in Paraguay before moving to Argentina’s Lanus.And he was one of only six players to record double figures for both goals and assists (11) in Major League Soccer in 2018.Unlike the signing of Owen, Almiron was not greeted by 15,000 supporters at St James’ Park, but the fee does represent a shift from the club’s relatively modest outlay in recent times.Martin Dubravka, Ki Sung-yueng, Fabian Schar, Yoshinori Mutu and Federico Fernandez all joined in the summer for a total of around £22m.Newcastle has also signed defender Antonio Barreca on loan from Monaco until the end of the season with the option of a permanent deal.The 23-year-old former Italy Under-21 international joined the French club last summer from Torino.“I know that Newcastle is a big and historic club,” he said. “I know that the people here really love football and that the fans are really behind the team.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Newcastle has broken the club’s transfer record to sign Paraguay playmaker Miguel Almiron from MLS side Atlanta United for around £20m.It beats the £16m fee paid for Michael Owen from Real Madrid in 2005 and also breaks the MLS transfer record.The 24-year-old has featured in the MLS team of the year for the past two seasons and scored 13 goals last term as Atlanta won their first MLS Cup. Miguel Almironlast_img read more

Read More
Men’s water polo snaps two-game losing streak

first_imgWith five seconds left in the match, junior goalie Joel Dennerley lunged to his left to bat away a 5-meter penalty shot from No. 6 UC Santa Barbara’s (10-6) Milos Golic — last season’s Mountain Pacific Sports Federation scoring leader and already the scorer of three goals in the game.Although the save was irrelevant to the final outcome, a game the No. 2 USC men’s water polo team (16-2) won 13-9, Dennerley’s ability to bear down and focus in that moment served as a microcosm of the young Trojan’s effort on Sunday afternoon.Facing the prospect of losing three straight games after the program had not lost consecutive games since 2007, the team needed to refocus and start off well. USC coach Jovan Vavic expressed confidence that the impending playoffs would help re-energize a team that might be tiring from the perfunctory, grueling daily workouts.“This game was huge for us. We needed to get back on track,” junior driver Peter Kurzeka said. “We knew they were a good offensive team going in and we still gave up a lot of goals, but a win is a win.”Despite the team yielding nine goals, Vavic was not overly concerned about the defense. He planned for his team to review some videotape of the game, but he could not pinpoint any specific areas on which it needed to improve. Several Santa Barbara sharp-shooters, including Golic, netted difficult shots from long distances against which Dennerley — who recorded nine saves — had little chance.Vavic quickly shifted the discussion to his prolific offense, particularly freshmen driver Nikola Vavic and two-meter Jeremy Davie, who scored a hat-trick against Santa Barbara. Earlier in the week, he noted that these two players, who have emerged as focal points of the offense, made mistakes against California and Stanford that they were not making at the start of the season.“Offensively, I think we were outstanding. We scored 13 goals and most of the players shot the ball well,” Vavic said. “Davie did a great job not only in scoring but also in drawing ejections. Peter Kurzeka finally scored some goals. Nikola did a good job in drawing some ejections and made some nice assists. Overall, I think our offense was much more focused than it was against Berkeley.”Undoubtedly, the diverse scoring attack in this game — nine different players scored at least one goal, including Kurzeka and sophomore utility Mace Rapsey, who both scored two goals each — was reminiscent of the games before Stanford and California.During those two games, the only losses for USC this year, the Trojans became too reliant on Nikola Vavic and Davie’s scoring prowess. Jovan Vavic knows that for the Trojans to continue their otherworldly scoring pace and to lessen the pressure on Dennerley they need Kurzeka and other returners to score as they were at the beginning of the season.Next on the docket for the Trojans are back-to-back home games against Pacific and Concordia on Saturday. The Trojans most likely will look to utilize most of their depth in order to rest their regulars as they prepare for a crucial home matchup against UCLA in two weeks.last_img read more

Read More
Tipp footballers set to conclude Division 3 campaign

first_imgElsewhere in Division 3 today promoted Kildare face Clare in Newbridge, Longford take on Westmeath at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park with relegated Limerick hosting Offaly in Newcastlewest. The Premier County definitely won’t be relegated if they beat Sligo at Markievicz Park.Promotion is still a possibility too, although for this to happen other results will have to go in favour of Liam Kearns’ side.Tipp FM’s live coverage of the match begins at 10 to 2 and will be brought to you in association with Tipperary Renault dot ielast_img read more

Read More
O’Brien looking forward to Division 2 action

first_imgSteven O’Brien is eagerly awaiting the challenge of intercounty football following his return to the Tipp set-up.The Ballina clubman spent the last 2 years with the Tipp senior hurlers.Steven – who turns 23 this week – told Tipp FM Sport that he while he gave his all with the hurlers he’s looking forward to the challenge of Division 2 Football.last_img

Read More
Jamaica’s tourism minister mourns passing of entertainment giant Walton Crooks

first_imgWalter Crooks KINGSTON, Jamaica – Jamaica’s Minister of Tourism, Hon Edmund Bartlett has expressed sadness at the passing of Montego Bay entertainment entrepreneur, Walton “Walt” Crooks who died suddenly over the weekend.Founded Disco Inferno in MoBayMinister Bartlett remembers Crooks for his bold undertaking in the establishment of Disco Inferno in Rose Hall. “Walt Crooks stood out as a giant in the entertainment industry, going beyond the ordinary as he engaged top class international singers to perform at Disco Inferno,” said Minister Bartlett.“Walt was very passionate about his venture and this led him to successfully bring the internationally recognized Hal Jackson’s Talented Teens Pageant to Montego Bay, giving many young Jamaicans the opportunity to showcase their talents on stage and earning recognition,” Minister Bartlett added.Co-promoted SumfestAlthough Disco Inferno folded, Walt Crooks maintained his devotion to entertainment and tourism as a director of Summerfest Productions, working behind the scenes in the staging of the annual Sumfest shows in Montego Bay.In his tribute, Minister Bartlett expressed the view that Walt Crooks was truly ahead of his time and it is regretted that he was not able to fulfil the dream he had in expanding Disco Inferno into a world class entertainment complex.Expressing condolence to Mr. Crooks’ family, Minister Bartlett said the tourism industry and in particular the entertainment sector, mourns the loss of a true pioneer who was totally committed to the industry.last_img read more

Read More
THIS WEEK: FUFA’s Magogo cited in World Cup tickets scam

first_imgAddressing a press conference, Sewanyana said Magogo is unfit to serve as FUFA president. According to Ssewanyana, a journalist turned politician, Magogo engaged in actions as a commercial agent and then transferred without FIFA’s prior written consent tickets designated for Uganda.FUFA refuted Sewanyana’s claim that FIFA granted free tickets for the World Cup to FUFA for distribution.Share on: WhatsApp THIS WEEK: FUFA’s Magogo cited in World Cup tickets scamFederation of Uganda Football Association (FUFA) President Moses Magogo is facing a new storm of controversy ahead of his bid for a second term as head of FUFA in elections slated for August.Magogo has been accused of re-selling 177 tickets designated to Uganda for the 2014 FIFA world Cup by Allan Sewanyana, MP for Makindye West and shadow minister for sports.last_img read more

Read More