Fabregas: Sarri was under too much pressure to use Hudson-Odoi

first_imgChelsea were fighting to keep hold of Callum Hudson-Odoi in the January transfer window after Maurizio Sarri struggled to offer chances to the ambitious youngsters but Cesc Fabregas says pressure at the club held him back.The 18-year-old winger went onto win regular game time in the Premier League but only after a protracted transfer saga with Bayern Munich, whose £35 million offer led to Hudson-Odoi personally handing in a transfer request to his club.Sarri was then dismayed as he saw Hudson-Odoi rupture his Achilles tendon after four consecutive league starts which included an away trip to Liverpool. Fabregas thinks that Chelsea’s manager was under too much pressure to play the youngster as he looked close to being sacked during various points last season. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? “It is difficult because, from a manager’s point of view, you are fighting for your job every day,” Fabregas told Goal about Sarri’s use of Hudson-Odoi last season. “In football today, you could lose two games and be sacked the next day.”That’s why coaches are sometimes hesitant to make changes or trust someone who doesn’t have the experience or is too young. They can look good in training but then in a game situation, they could freeze or make a mistake.”The mistake could be in their head in the future if they aren’t strong enough. I don’t blame coaches too much. I know it is very difficult. Callum has taken it all very well. He kept working, he took it with a smile on his face and in the end, Sarri and the whole world knew he deserved to play.”Fabregas has been a supporter of Hudson-Odoi since he broke through and assisted him for his first ever goal at his boyhood club in the Europa League match against PAOK.Both players will get Europa League medals despite Fabregas having joined Monaco, while Hudson-Odoi watched the match on TV as he continues his recovery from his long-term injury.Fabregas recalls first seeing Hudson-Odoi break through with the club, and he says that he knew that he was witnessing something special.’Who gave you your first ever goal for Chelsea?’ 😂@cesc4official on hand with another assist tonight! 🎯 #CFCvPAOK pic.twitter.com/HsFOzr16IZ— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) November 29, 2018″He is a good boy who is full of confidence,” he added about Hudson-Odoi. “I remember this first training session that we did with Antonio Conte. We did 11 against zero. Just to do a little bit of play and finishing. His finishing was superb.”I thought, I have never seen this kid before but actually he has something about him. It was very early and only the first day but you could definitely see something. Then the more he trained with us you could see that he was getting more confident. He was taking people on in training and he was not afraid.”You could see that he had a lot of potential. Slowly, slowly he grew up. He played a little bit more and in the end, there was nothing else that Sarri could do but play him. Very well deserved and it is a little bit the same for Ruben [Loftus-Cheek]. It is unfortunate that they both missed the final.”Cesc Fabregas was speaking on behalf of Amstel, Official Partners of the UEFA Europa League. For more information please visit amstelbier.co.uklast_img read more

Read More
Improving security prompts UN to revise guidelines for Iraqi asylum claims

The UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) previously advised that all Iraqis from the central and southern governorates be considered refugees.In its latest recommendations, the agency believes that the international protection needs for those originating from Al-Anbar, encompassing much of the country’s western territory, and the south should be assessed on individual merit.However, UNHCR advises favourable consideration for people belonging to specific groups from these areas which have been identified as at risk, including members of religious and ethnic minorities; Iraqis perceived as opposing armed groups or political factions; Iraqis affiliated with the multinational forces or foreign companies; media workers; UN and non-governmental organization (NGO) workers; human rights activists; and homosexuals.The agency also stressed that ongoing violence, conflict and human rights violations in most of the central governorates of Baghdad, Diyala, Kirkuk, Ninewa and Salah Al-Din places asylum-seekers from these areas in continued need for international protection.UNHCR estimates that hundreds of thousands of Iraqis have sought refuge in neighbouring countries, mainly in Syria and Jordan but also in Lebanon, Egypt and others, with over 40,000 asylum applications made in industrialized countries last year alone.The agency stressed that improvement in the situation in Iraq is not yet sufficient enough to promote or encourage massive returns and it recommended that refugees already benefiting from international protection should retain their status.In a related development, an Iraqi ministry has pledged $30 million for projects aimed at improving the lives of children in rural marshland areas. With a 34 per cent illiteracy rate among women living in marshlands, compared to 24 per cent nationally, and school enrolment at least 30 per cent lower than in urban areas, and around 80 per cent of households not connected to the general water network, the marshlands has some of the worst development indicators in Iraq. 5 May 2009A drop off in levels of violence in some parts of Iraq has allowed the United Nations refugee agency to revise its guidelines on eligibility for those seeking asylum. read more

Read More