Australia says anyone entering the country must self-isolate

first_imgAustralia’s Prime Minister Scott Morrison said all people arriving from overseas will have to self isolate for 14 days, as his government stepped up efforts to slow the spread of the coronavirus.The order will come into force at midnight, Morrison said in a televised address Sunday. Australia will also ban cruise ships from foreign ports from docking in Australia for 30 days and will prohibit mass gatherings of 500 people or more, though schools will remain open.“We are going to have to get used to some changes in how we live our lives over the next six months or so,” Morrison told reporters after a meeting of the national Cabinet. “We know that the virus cannot be absolutely stopped,” he said. “But we can slow the spread” to protect the most vulnerable in society. The measures announced Sunday are another escalation of the response by the government, which has announced a A$17.6 billion ($10.9 billion) stimulus package to buttress the economy.Following advice from health professionals, Morrison also said “static, non-essential” gatherings should not go ahead if more than 500 people attend. These include places such as stadiums and theaters where people are in close proximity with each other for a sustained period of time, he said. On Friday, he stopped short of an outright ban on mass gatherings as it opted instead to “advise” against them.Nations around the world are trying to shield citizens from the deadly virus. France has shut cafes and restaurants, while Spain declared an emergency as cases rose to more than 145,000 worldwide and the death toll increased to more than 5,700.New Zealand on Saturday announced similar measures to Australia’s, requiring almost every individual who enters the country, including citizens and residents, to self-isolate for 14 days.In Australia, 249 people have been infected, from 197 on Saturday, health authorities said. Morrison said his Cabinet would now meet via teleconference as part of social distancing measures. Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton is in isolation after testing positive.Topics :last_img read more

Read More
CMI longevity model could cut Swiss liabilities by up to 3.5%

first_imgApplying the continuous mortality investigation (CMI) model could slice between 2.5% and 3.5% off liabilities in Swiss Pensionskassen, according to consultancy group Libera.The CMI model incorporates regular adjustments to increases in longevity, whereas standard mortality tables currently project an unbroken upwards tendency.“Under the CMI model the life expectancy of a 65-year-old Swiss male is 3.5% lower than compared with the model used by the federal statistical office,” Libera noted.However, so far “no Swiss Pensionskassen are applying the CMI model”, Benno Ambrosini, board member at Libera, confirmed to IPE. “But there is no regulatory impediment to using a different model as long as it is adjusted to the Swiss population,” he added.Swiss law only states pension funds have to “calculate their annual reports based on accepted basic principles and openly accessible technical foundations”, Libera explained.In the UK the model has been discussed and applied more widely . Most recently actuaries have calculated that UK life expectancy improvements have stalled in recent years, which could reduce liabilities for many pension schemes.“What has still to be decided is the long-term adjustment rate to be used in the CMI model for Switzerland,” Ambrosini said.However, he criticised the rate used by many UK companies, saying the 1.25% widely used in the UK was based on “too little” substantial evidence.The CMI model is based on the assumption that current rates of mortality improvement converge to a single long-term rate, as noted by the UK’s Institute and Faculty of Actuaries.last_img read more

Read More
Chukwueze rejects N14b Liverpool move

first_imgRelatedPosts Super Eagles stars model new national team jersey Bale completes Tottenham return from Real Madrid Live stream Premier League, La Liga, Serie A on Showmax Pro this weekend Liverpool allegedly had a bid rejected for Villarreal winger Samuel Chukwueze. At the beginning of the year, Jurgen Klopp was successful with his effort to bring Takumi Minamino to Anfield, which proved to be his only piece of business. However, according to France Football, the Merseyside giants attempted to make another addition to the final third last month. The report claimed that the Premier League giants were willing to part with £30m in order to sign Chukwueze, who has contributed three goals from 22 La Liga appearances this season. Despite his lack of return during the current campaign, Villarreal turned down the bid for a player who is said to have £55 million release clause. The 20-year-old has also received interest from Chelsea and is reported to have a £55 million release clause in his current contract that expires in 2023.Tags: Jurgen KloppLa LigaSamuel ChukwuezeVillareallast_img read more

Read More
Mocha resident to stand trial in High Court for rape

first_imgForty-seven-year-old Jegede Hodge of Plantation Mocha Arcadia, East Bank Demerara, was on Tuesday committed to stand trial in the High Court for a rape committed on a then 14-year-old girl back in 2017.Hodge appeared in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts on Tuesday and was handed down the judgement by Principal Magistrate Judy Latchman in the form of a paper committal during the matter which was held in-camera.Initially, he was not required to plead to the indictable charge, which alleged that between September 1 and 30, 2017, while at Plantation Mocha EBD, he engaged in sexual penetration with the child, who was under the age of consent. The prosecution had contended that, on the day in question, the child was left in Hodge’s care.However, Hodge was granted bail in the sum of $300,000 when he made his first court appearance. The matter was prosecuted by Inspector Shellon Daniels.last_img read more

Read More