No-confidence vote being organized against attorney general

first_imgJustice Department spokesmen would not confirm the names of any of the prosecutors, but said the lists mostly represented the preliminary thinking of D. Kyle Sampson, Gonzales’ former chief of staff, who was in charge of the dismissals. “These lists, some drafted long before the December resignations, reflect Kyle Sampson’s thoughts for discussion during the consultation process,” said Dean Boyd, a Justice Department spokesman. “Many names on these lists clearly did not represent the final actions or views of the attorney general.” Nonetheless, the new disclosures brought a fresh wave of criticism of Gonzales. Sen. Norm Coleman, R-Minn., said Thursday that Gonzales should resign; he was reacting in part to the fact that Thomas Heffelfinger, a former U.S. attorney in his state, was placed on one of the dismissal lists. In addition, Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., said Gonzales’ resignation should now be considered a possibility. “When you have to spend more time up here on Capitol Hill instead of running the Justice Department, maybe you ought to think about it,” Roberts said. WASHINGTON – Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales’ standing in Congress weakened further Thursday as Senate Democrats arranged to hold a no-confidence vote and the top Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee predicted that the furor over Gonzales’ stewardship would end with his resignation. Gonzales’ already shaky position eroded after reports this week about an episode in 2004 when as White House counsel he was involved in an apparent effort to circumvent Justice Department officials who had refused to renew authority for a secret domestic eavesdropping program. And Thursday, The Washington Post identified several U.S. attorneys who appeared on various Justice Department lists in 2005 and 2006 as potential candidates for dismissal. It had been known that a number of prosecutors were added and removed from various Justice Department lists as officials planned the dismissals. The Post account, confirmed by government officials, said that in addition to the eight prosecutors who were dismissed, as many as 18 others had been considered for removal at various times. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read More
Barcelona could include player in deal to sign Chelsea ace

first_img The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer REVEALED Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father Barcelona want to sign Willian this summer Liverpool’s signings under Michael Edwards – will Minamino be the next big hit? targets Chelsea confident of beating Man United and Liverpool to Sancho signing TOP WORK Submitting such an offer is beyond Barca’s capabilities right now, and they have started to assess how they could do a deal for Willian without spending so much.And, according to Mundo Deportivo, Barcelona have reached the decision to offer one of their players in a part-exchange deal for Willian, in an attempt to lower the actual cash they will have to spend on the 29-year-old.It is stated that three players are in the running to be offered to the Blues, with midfielders Andre Gomes, Rafinha and Paulinho all named in the report. 2 targets Latest transfer news IN DEMAND Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January Gomes and Rafinha are actively looking to leave Camp Nou this summer – the latter spent the second half of last season on loan at Internazionale – as they search for guaranteed first-team football next season.Paulinho’s situation is slightly different, as he established himself as one of Barca’s key players last term after arriving from Guangzhou Evergrande of China’s Super League in the summer of 2016. However, an unnamed club have submitted an offer for Paulinho, and Barca are considering selling him. The Brazil midfielder has experience of English football, having spent two largely dreadful years at Tottenham. 2 RANKED moving on Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Barcelona are prepared to offer a player to Chelsea in exchange for Willian, as they attempt to complete a deal for the Brazil ace.The Camp Nou club want to bring Willian to Catalonia this summer, but they are put off by the £70million (€80m) price tag put on the winger by Chelsea. three-way race Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti LATEST Barcelona could offer Paulinho to Chelsea LIVING THE DREAM last_img read more

Read More
Grass-Fed Ghee Oil Horrifies Indians On Twitter

first_imgGood old ghee needs no introduction. The clarified butter, which originated in India, is used liberally around the country in everything from food to traditional medicines. So when a Los Angeles-based company discovered this “superfood” and repackaged it into “grass-fed ghee oil”, outrage against them wasn’t all that surprising. A tweet going viral, which shows a pic of Fourth & Heart’s ghee oil bottle, has gone viral online and collected a lot of backlash.Read it at NDTV Related Itemslast_img read more

Read More