French Open 2017: Andy Murray to face Andrey Kuznetsov in first round

first_imgWorld number one Andy Murray will play Russia’s Andrey Kuznetsov in the French Open first round while fellow Briton Johanna Konta faces Hsieh Su-wei. Murray, 30, is in the same half of the draw as 2015 champion Stan Wawrinka, who he beat in last year’s semi-finals.Second seed and defending champion Novak Djokovic is in the same half as nine-time champion Rafael Nadal.Petra Kvitova, who was stabbed six months ago, returns for the Grand Slam event, which starts in Paris on Sunday.The Czech, twice a Wimbledon winner, suffered serious hand injuries when she was attacked by an intruder in her home.She is seeded 15th thanks to her protected ranking and drawn against American Julia Boserup. Seventh seed Konta, who is chasing a first win at Roland Garros, having lost in round one in the previous two years, is up against the world number 109 from Taiwan.Defending women’s champion Garbine Muguruza opens against 2010 winner Francesca Schiavone and could face a semi-final against world number one Angelique Kerber, who starts against Ekaterina Makarova.Romania’s world number four Simona Halep, who is battling to be fit after tearing ankle ligaments, starts against Slovakia’s Jana Cepelova and is in the same half of the draw as Elina Svitolina, who beat Halep in the Italian Open final last weekend.Spain’s Nadal, 30, has won three titles on clay this season, including a 17-match unbeaten streak that ended in defeat by Dominic Thiem in the Italian Open quarter-finals.Serb Djokovic will play his first tournament with new coach Andre Agassi,having appointed the eight-time Grand Slam champion after losing to German 20-year-old Alexander Zverev in the Italian Open final. Djokovic faces Spain’s Marcel Granollers in round one.British interestKonta is the only British player in the women’s singles after Heather Watson lost 6-0 6-3 to the Netherlands’ Richel Hogenkamp in the third round of qualifying on Friday.The 26-year-old has played Hsieh twice before, with the Briton winning their last match in Vancouver in 2013 and Hsieh winning on grass at Eastbourne in the same year.Last year’s runner-up Murray has won his two previous meetings with world number 85 Kuznetsov – in the third round of the 2014 US Open and again on hard court in Beijing last year.And he told the assembled media in Paris that he feels “much better”, following another bout of sickness earlier this week. The world number one has been struggling with illness and injury so far in 2017, but insisted he is ready to make a real challenge at Roland Garros.”I will be ready, for sure,” said the Briton. “I just wasn’t well for a few days. It happens to lots of players during the year just because of what we do. “We are in the locker rooms with lots of players, lots of sweat, lots of germs, you know, in airplanes all the time. It happens.”I practised for three hours today, and I feel fine.”The other British men in the draw all avoided seeded players. Kyle Edmund, ranked second in Britain and 50 in the world, takes on Portugal’s Gastao Elias, who is 75 places below him.Dan Evans plays Spanish veteran Tommy Robredo, while Aljaz Bedene starts against American Ryan Harrison. ‘Murray is not in the right place’ – analysisFormer British number one Greg RusedskiMurray has played a bit too much tennis. He got shingles, and all of a sudden he was back on antibiotics leading up to French Open. Physically he is not in the right place.When you are not winning matches, your mental side starts to affect you, so it’s a combination of the two areas.  I don’t expect that much from him. I think his focus will probably be on defending his Wimbledon title. It’s going to be a hard one.Halep was the one everyone was looking at as favourite but she has had an ankle injury. If Konta can get her movement on the clay right she has got a shot, the women’s event is wide open.BBC tennis correspondent Russell FullerNadal, Djokovic and Dominic Thiem have all been drawn in the other half, but that does not feel especially relevant to Murray just now.He has lost half of his clay matches so far this year and is seeded to face Juan Martin del Potro in the third round. Nadal has an awkward opening round against Benoit Paire, but otherwise appears to be in a relatively benign quarter.  Konta is also in a reasonable quarter – avoiding Halep, Kerber and defending champion Muguruza – but given her struggles on the clay, and the lack of any obvious favourite, don’t read too much into that.Kerber lost in the first round last year and has a horrible opener against the two time Grand Slam semi-finalist Ekaterina Makarova.last_img read more

Read More
BiH Premier League season finished

first_imgLast Sunday, 26 May, matches of the 30th, the last round of BiH Premier League, has finished.Gošk was defeated by Borac 0:2, while Široki Brijeg defeated Željezničar with 4:1, and Leotar defeated Slavija with 2:0Sarajevo defeated Radnik with 5:0, while Velež and Zrinjski played 1:1. Travnik defeated Zvijezda 2:1 and thus remained in the Premier League while Gradina lost once again to Rudar with 0:2. And Čelik defeated Olimpic with 2:0.The champion, which was known earlier, is football club Željezničar from Sarajevo with 66 points.The second team is FC ‘Sarajevo’ with 60 points, followed by FC ‘Borac’ with 51 point, Čelik with 51 as well, Olimpic with 49, Široki Brijeg with 45, Slavija with 43, Zrinjski with 39, Leotar with 39, Zvijezda with 36, Rudar Prijedor with 36, Radnik with 35, Velež with 34, Travnik with 34, Gošk with 30 and Gradina with 9.Two teams which are leaving the Premier League are Gošk and Gradina, while football club ‘Vitez’ will enter the Premier League together with Mladost VO.(D.J.)last_img read more

Read More
Man fined for not complying with smoking laws in pub he ran

first_imgA Co Donegal man was fined €50 for having a pub smoking shelter that didn’t comply with law.Paul McClure, 38, of Church Road, Carndonagh, was accused of a number of breaches of the Tobacco Act when he appeared before Carndonagh District court. The court heard that Mr. McClure was the former licensee of The Carman’s Inn pub at Ture, Muff, and that he leased it from Mr. John Ryan.Mr. McClure was accused of having a smoking shelter which was too enclosed, having possession of a self-service cigarette machine without a licence, and also not having the cigarette machine in sight of the staff working in the pub.The Carndonagh man pleaded guilty to all charges before him at the sitting of the District Court.The court heard from Mary Costello, an environmental health officer with the HSE, who said she visited the Carman’s Inn in Muff on January 15 this year. She said she entered the pub through the smoking shelter at the rear where she immediately noticed a self serving cigarette vending machine, which was on and working.Miss Costello said she spoke to Mr McClure, who had recognised her when she came in, about the smoking shelter and the vending machine.“He confirmed to me that he was selling cigarettes, however he was not registered to sell them, “ said Ms. Costello.“He said he was trying to negotiate with the company over the fee. He also admitted that he allowed people to smoke in the shelter at the rear but there was no one in there when I called. I got measurements and took photographs and left. When I returned later there were two people in the shelter and both were smoking cigarettes.”The court heard that the smoking shelter was a basic wooden structure and that 89 per cent of the structure was covered by walls.Ms. Costello described the shelter as being “very enclosed”.She told the judge that she had attended the premises that morning before the court sitting in Carn. She said the pub was closed but she was able to access the shelter from the car park at the back. She noted that “some modifications and improvements” had taken place.The environmental health inspector also noted that there were no ‘no smoking’ signs in the shelter, and regarding the cigarette machine she said it was not positioned in the correct place. She said these must be in line of sight for staff working in the bar in order to ensure that no one under the age of 18 years was able to buy cigarettes from it.The court heard that the cigarette machine in the Carman’s was located down a back hall and definitely not in line of sight of the staff working on the premises.Defence solicitor Ciaran MacLochlainn said his client, Mr. McClure, had been in dispute with the landlord Mr. Ryan. He claimed the landlord had refused to put the smoking area in order.Mr. MacLochlainn said Mr. McClure was the tenant from June 2011, and remained there for more than four years. However he said that he parted company with the landlord ‘on bad terms’ and they were still in dispute.Mr. MacLochlainn said his client was now unemployed and in ‘dire circumstances’. He asked the judge for leniency in the case as he pleaded guilty at the first opportunity and was co-operative.Judge Paul Kelly said he would take note of Mr. McClure’s circumstances and situation. However, he said as Mr. McClure was the occupier for four and a half years the onus was on him to be compliant with the tobacco law.Judge Kelly fined Mr McClure €50 on the first charge and applied the Probation Act on the remaining charges. He also ordered Mr. McClure to pay €700 in prosecution costs.Man fined for not complying with smoking laws in pub he ran was last modified: November 2nd, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CarndonaghcourtdonegalSMOKINGlast_img read more

Read More