Danushka Gunathilaka suspended by Sri Lanka from international cricket

first_imgSri Lankan all-rounder Danushka Gunathilaka has been suspended by Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) from all forms of international cricket, pending an inquiry into an alleged breach of code of conduct regulations.”Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) decided to suspend Danushka Gunathilaka from all forms of international cricket for breaching the ‘Player Code of Conduct’, pending inquiry,” the SLC said in a statement.”The decision to suspend the player was taken following an initial inquiry conducted by Sri Lanka Cricket, after the team management reported that the player have violated the ‘Code of Conduct’.”According to reports, a Norwegian woman has accused Gunathilaka’s friend of raping her in a hotel room where he was present, an official said on Monday.Gunathilaka and his friend took two Norwegian women to the hotel where the player was staying in Colombo in the early hours of Sunday.One of the women later accused the second man, a British passport-holder of Sri Lankan origin, of raping her and police arrested him.The 26-year-old “is under arrest and we are continuing our investigations,” a police official confirmed. “A Norwegian tourist made the complaint of rape.” He also said there was no allegation against Gunathilaka.Gunathilaka was allowed to take the field on day four of the second Test between Sri Lanka and South Africa.Gunathilaka’s fee for the match will also be withheld pending the outcome of the inquiry. Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) rules stipulate that during matches players must be back in their hotel rooms by midnight and cannot have guests.advertisementAlso read – Colombo Test: South Africa stare at series whitewash after failing spin trailGunathilaka was also suspended for three matches by SLC last October for misconduct during the home series against India.Another member of Sri Lanka’s Test squad, leg-spinner Jeffrey Vandersay, was on Friday given a suspended one-year ban from international cricket after pleading guilty to misconduct during last month’s tour of the West Indies.Gunathilaka scored 57 and 61 runs in the second and final Test, with Sri Lanka whitewashing the series after trouncing the visitors by 199 runs in Colombo on Monday. South Africa were 5/139 chasing an impossible-looking 490 target at close of play Sunday and got bowled out for 290 on the fourth day.Rangana Herath took 6 wickets while Akila Dananjaya and Dilruwan Perera took 2 wickets each to lead the hosts to a 2-0 series whitewash.Gunathilaka ended up as the second highest run-scorer in the two-match series with 161 runs in four innings at an average of 40.25 including two half-centuries.(With inputs from agencies)last_img read more

Read More
REMINDER CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS – From Page to Screen

first_imgDeadline:  January 12, 2017Online Application Portal (OAP) re: Application SubmissionsPrior to commencing an application, your company’s corporate information must be registered. If this has not already been done, you should register as soon as possible by going to: https://apply.omdc.on.ca.If you encounter problems setting up your company’s corporate information, you can email applyhelp@omdc.on.ca for assistance. This email address can also be used for any technical questions you have about the OAP.Guidelines and Title Template Forms For PublishersFrom Page to Screen Publisher Guidelines From Page to Screen Publisher Title TemplateGuidelines For Film, TV and Interactive Digital Media Companies:From Page to Screen Guidelines for Film, TV and Interactive Digital Media Companies EnquiriesJanet HawkinsProgram Consultant, Industry InitiativesPhone: 416-642-6698Email: jhawkins@omdc.on.caORBianca SpenceProgram Coordinator, Industry InitiativesPhone: 416-642-6652Email: programs2@omdc.on.caTo receive notification of upcoming deadlines and program updates, please email programs2@omdc.on.ca with your complete contact information, including your full name, company name and telephone number, as well as the name of the program that you are interested in. Advertisement This event has been created to promote the adaptation of Canadian fiction, non-fiction and children’s literature published by Ontario publishers to the big and small screens. It provides a forum for Ontario film and television producers to meet with publishers in scheduled, one-on-one meetings.NOTE: Full eligibility requirements and details can be found in OMDC From Page To Screen Guidelines. Please read the guidelines completely before beginning your application. OMDC reserves the right to revise Guidelines and Application Forms.When completing the application please note that there are 2 separate applications for From Page to Screen: one for publishers and one for film, television and interactive digital companies. Be sure to complete the appropriate application. Facebook Advertisement Login/Register With: Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Twitterlast_img read more

Read More
KELOWNABORN DIRECTOR COURTNEY PAIGE WRAPS FILM AFTER 4WEEK SHOOT

first_img Login/Register With: Advertisement The Color Rose, an independent movie produced by Neon Cinema Films, has wrapped in the Kelowna area after four weeks of shooting.Kelowna-born director Courtney Paige returned home to film her thriller about high school girls, each embodying one of the seven deadly sins, who start a cult. But, after their best friend goes missing, they realize there is more going on in their religious town.The OKM Secondary graduate turned director is an award-winning writer and actor who works between Vancouver and Los Angeles. Her body of work includes appearances on E!’s The Arrangement and a short film entitled Butterscotch that was screened in the Cannes Film Festival Short Corner. Advertisement Advertisement Twitter Courtney Paige (right) was raised in Kelowna and has gone on to becoming an award-winning writer and actor. She just wrapped her film ‘The Color Rose’ after four weeks of shooting in the Kelowna area. (Supplied) Facebook LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment last_img read more

Read More
Mens Hockey No 1 Ohio State falls to UMass 63 in home

Ohio State redshirt senior goalie Sean Romeo (30) prepares for a UMass shot in the first period of the game against the University of Massachusetts on Oct. 19 in the Schottenstein Center. Credit: Casey Cascaldo | Photo EditorNo. 1 Ohio State men’s hockey team fell to UMass 6-3 after falling into an early hole in its home opener.Ohio State (2-1-0), ranked No. 1 in the polls for the first time in team history, allowed six goals against UMass (3-0-0) on only 27 shots. Though the loss was disappointing for the Buckeyes, head coach Steve Rohlik said there were positives from their first home outing, and they know what they need to work on.“Number one, we’ve got to just keep getting better. It’s the beginning of the year, it’s our third game, it’s a long season,” Rohlik  said. “We played a really good hockey team tonight, we knew that. You know, we didn’t have the start we wanted. I liked their compete coming back.”UMass senior forward Brett Boeing opened up the scoring off an assist from sophomore defenseman Cale Makar with just under ten minutes remaining in the first period.It wouldn’t be the last time Makar would leave his impression on Ohio State, as he would provide another assist and an empty net goal of his own later on.With just over seven minutes remaining in the second period, it was 3-0 in favor of the Minutemen and the Buckeyes seemed out of sorts, and were looking for a jump start on offense.“At that point is was kind of a do or die,” senior defenseman Sasha Larocque said. “You know we had to come out and give them our best to stay in the game, and the guys battled really hard, we got back into it.”After the Buckeyes killed a penalty, junior forward Carson Meyer gave the Buckeyes some momentum late in the second period off a penalty shot for his second goal of the season. He followed it up minutes later with his second goal of the game to cut the UMass lead to one.Though the game ended in defeat for the Buckeyes, Meyer still had an impressive game for the Buckeyes, scoring two goals that gave Ohio State a chance to mount a comeback.Halfway through the third period, senior forward Dakota Joshua scored to again cut the lead to one. But with less than five minutes remaining, UMass freshman forward Bobby Trivigno made it 5-3 in favor of the Minutemen to ice the game. An additional goal was tacked on a minute later by Makar to bring the final score to 6-3.Ohio State outshot UMass 38-27 on the night and were one for five on the power play. Redshirt senior goaltender Sean Romeo saved 21 shots and allowed five goals.Looking to tomorrow’s game, Larocque said the team knows what it needs to improve on to earn its first home win of the season.“I think just, like coach has been saying, coming out ready to play, start to finish. It’s something we’ve struggled with in past years, being consistent throughout an entire game, and it’s something that we really need to improve,” Larocque said.The Buckeyes will return to the Schottenstein Center to play their second game against UMass at 5:00 p.m on Saturday. read more

Read More
Hughton reveals he is excited about facing Warnock

first_imgBrighton & Hove Albion manager Chris Hughton reveals he is looking forward to crossing paths with Neil Warnock when the Seagulls travel to the Cardiff City Stadium this afternoon.The former Newcastle United manager takes his side to Wales in 12th position in the Premier League after three wins from three in October, and Hughton was keen to repay the positive comments made by Warnock.He said, according to the club’s official website:“It’s always nice to hear people say good things about you, but it’s also very difficult in this profession to be nice all the time because you always have to make tough decisions that you hope can lead to success.”BRIGHTON, ENGLAND - MAY 12: Chris Hughton, Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion looks on prior to the Premier League match between Brighton & Hove Albion and Manchester City at American Express Community Stadium on May 12, 2019 in Brighton, United Kingdom. (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)Hughton’s first words after being sacked Manuel R. Medina – May 22, 2019 The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager says he was “hugely disappointed and surprised” when he was fired from the club.“For us, success is about keeping the team in the Premier League and building from there, so it’s impossible to do all of those things and be nice all the time – what you try to do is try to approach the game within your personality.”“What I do look forward to is seeing Neil – he’s somebody I know very well, and we’ve crossed paths on many occasions both on and off the pitch.”“He’s a manager who I have great respect for, and he has a wonderful track record – he’s brought a team into this division and continues to do a very good job there – it makes Saturday very tough for that reason.”last_img read more

Read More
Salmon Forum Highlights Habitat Protection

first_imgCook Inletkeeper recently recognized the Kenai Peninsula Borough for the passage of the 50-foot setback rule. Berkhahn: “I don’t know how we can actually stop these big projects, and we can’t. But we are moving forward in the right direction.” Another question put before the panel was in regards to the KPB’s 50-foot setback on property near the river bank. Each noted the importance bank habitat provides to a healthy stream. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Over 50 people attended a salmon conservation forum last Thursday, at the Soldotna Public Library, hosted by Cook Inletkeeper. The forum, held a four-person panel: Marcus Mueller, land manager at the Kenai Peninsula Borough; Sue Mauger, science director at Cook Inletkeeper; Patti Berkhahn, who worked for Alaska Department of Fish and Game; and Branden Bornemann, executive director at the Kenai Watershed Forum. The panel answered questions about science, policy, and citizenship and how they intersect in the realm of salmon conservation. When asked about the upcoming Stand for Salmon ballot initiative that will be on the November ballot, each member of the panel said it would “be a great thing.”last_img read more

Read More
Facial recognition bans spread across America

first_imgThe Oakland (California) City Council has voted to ban facial recognition technology. James Martin/CNET Oakland, California, has has become third city to ban the municipal use of facial recognition technology. Late Tuesday night, the Oakland City Council approved the ordinance, which requires a second and final vote that’s scheduled for Sept. 17.Oakland neighbor San Francisco in May became the first city to ban its police officers from using facial recognition technology, citing a breach of citizens’ civil liberties. The Somerville City Council in Massachusetts followed suit last month. Legal Facial recognition How San Francisco’s ban could impact facial recognition… Mobile Security Computers Politics Security Cameras Now playing: Watch this: 0 Facial recognition technology and human rights Aibo robot dogs and the people who love them 25 Photos Oakland City Council President Rebecca Kaplan, who prepared a report on the proposed ban, cited limitations of the technology, the lack of standards around its implementation, and its potential use in the persecution of minorities, according to KPIX.Matt Cagle, a technology and civil liberties attorney for American Civil Liberties Union Northern California, said it should be elected representatives making decisions on the government’s ability to collect and use facial recognition imaging.”Decisions about whether we want to hand the government the power to identify who attends protests, political rallies, church or AA meetings should not be made in the secret backroom of a police station, lobbied by corporate executives that market this technology,” Cagle said Wednesday in a statement.The ACLU said US House of Representatives on Tuesday night also passed an amendment to the Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2020 that would require the Director of National Intelligence to report on any government use of facial recognition technology (PDF).Reports would include information on the accuracy of the technology, as well as policies and procedures to protect human rights and First Amendment rights. The law shows Congress is recognizing “that this surveillance technology presents an unprecedented threat to our most fundamental democratic values,” said Neema Singh Guliani, ACLU senior legislative counsel. 3:04 null Share your voice San Francisco becomes first city to bar police from using facial recognition AI experts want Amazon to stop selling facial recognition tech to police Huge leaps in AI have made facial recognition smarter than your brain Why facial recognition’s racial bias problem is so hard to crack Smart home cameras bring facial recognition ethics to your front door Tagslast_img read more

Read More
Amu tells CJ this is Bangladesh not Pakistan

first_imgIn an oblique reference to chief justice’s remarks, industries minister Amir Hossain Amu on Sunday said Bangladesh did not emerge from any communal poison like Pakistan but through the sacrifices of three million people. “Such utterances are meaningless… this is not Pakistan…this is Bangladesh,” he said apparently venting angers at the chief justice’s remarks.Chief justice Surendra Kumar Sinha, as media reported on Sunday, said the judiciary is having enough patience. Amu said, “We’ve heard our chief justice asked to look at Pakistan. We had looked at Pakistan many days ago, not today.”Recently, Pakistan’s Supreme Court ousted its prime minister Nawaz Sharif over corruption claims.The Awami League leader said the judges came to the court set up for hanging Bangabandhu in the Agartala “conspiracy” case but the people of Bangladesh and Pakistan do not know how and when they (judges) fled. “We’ve had that experience. If such things need to be seen again here, then the people of the country are ready (to face it).”The industries minister said conspiracies are being hatched against Bangladesh to make it a failed state. “We’re seeing conspiracies from various fronts. Some are trying to catch fish in troubled waters. A vested group is conspiring to hamper the country’s security and halt its pace of development,” he said.Amu said Pakistan is now a failed sate and they cannot tolerate today’s progress of Bangladesh. “That’s why they’re conspiring to make Bangladesh a failed state.”The minister came up with the remarks at a discussion organised by the Ministry of Industries marking the 15 August.About Bangabandhu, he said the killers did not only kill the person Bangabandhu on the black day of 15 August but also tried to kill the spirit of the independence.last_img read more

Read More
Khaledas adviser Taimur arrested

first_imgTaimur Alam KhandakerTaimur Alam Khandaker, adviser to BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia, was arrested in Narayanganj on Tuesday in an explosives case.Narayanganj police arrested Taimur from Chandmari area of the district around 11:15am.Motiar Rahman, additional police superintendent of Naraynganj, said a case against Taimur had been filed with Narayanganj Model Police Station on 5 January 2015 for his involvement in a bomb blast and vandalisation.An arrest warrant was issued against him long ago, Motiar added.Taimur was the former president of district Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP).last_img read more

Read More
Asian tourism fair begins in Dhaka

first_img.The three-day 7th Asian Tourism Fair-2018 (ATF) began in the city on Friday to promote tourism industry of the country, reports UNB.Parjatan Bichitra in collaboration with Bangladesh Parjatan Corporation and Bangladesh Tourism Board arranged the fair at International Convention City, Bashundhara (ICCB) as part of celebrating the World Tourism Day 2018.Civil aviation and tourism minister AKM Shahjahan Kamal inaugurated the fair as the chief guest. The fair will remain open for all from 10:00am to 8:00pm till Sunday.Chairman of the parliamentary standing committee on civil aviation and tourism ministry Muhammad Faruk Khan attended the function as a special guest.BPC chairman Akhtaruzzaman Khan Kabir, BTB CEO Jahangir Hossain, ambassador of the Philippines Vicente Vivencio T Bandello and ambassador of Indonesia Rina P Soemarno and convener of the Asian Tourism Fair and editor of Parjatan Bichitra Mohiuddin Helal were also present.Around 120 stalls of different countries like India, Nepal, China, Indonesia, the Philippines and Singapore apart from Bangladesh are taking part in the fair.Travel-loving people of Bangladesh are offered to buy many interesting packages to visit home and abroad.last_img read more

Read More