Here are the latest COVID-19 numbers in Delaware County

first_imgIn a press release, Delaware County revealed that there are 32 total positive cases. 27 of the confirmed cases are Delaware County residents. Nine of those individuals are in a hospital and 13 are self-quarantined. Delaware County has one death as well as four recoveries. —– There have been 225 total tests and 38 pending. Additionally, the county has received 155 negative results. 5:30 P.M. UPDATE The county also said there are 47 more individuals in mandatory quarantine, and 9 more individuals in precautionary quarantine. DELAWARE COUNTY, N.Y. (WBNG) — Delaware County released updated coronavirus numbers on Saturday. Of the 25 residents that tested positive, 12 are quarantined in their homes and nine are receiving care in a hospital. Delaware County has one death confirmed as well as three recoveries. center_img In a press release, Delaware County revealed that there are 30 positive cases as of Saturday. Five of the positive cases have been transferred out of the county. One of the five transferred cases was sent to where they actually live. DELAWARE COUNTY, N.Y. (WBNG) — Delaware County released updated coronavirus numbers on Sunday. There are 45 more individuals in mandatory quarantine, as well as nine more individuals in precautionary quarantine. There have been a total of 223 test to date. 154 of those tests were negative and 39 are pending. For more coronavirus coverage, click here.last_img read more

Read More
Steuben County reports 7 additional COVID-19 cases

first_imgThe Steuben County Health Department says that one or more of the infected individuals are connected to previously reported cases. The health department says all individuals are being quarantined and monitored by the health department.  For the latest Steuben County updates, visit Steuben County’s website or social media pages: www.facebook.com/SCNYPublicHealth and www.instagram.com/SteubenPublicHealth. For more coronavirus coverage, click here. April 1 or April 2 – Post Office in Bath April 1 – Burger King drive-through in Corning April 1 – Rite Aid in Bath April 1 – Save a Lot in Bath April 2 – Kwik Fill in Hammondsport April 6 – Pilot in Kanona April 6 – April 8 – Ready, Set, Grow Child Care Center in CorningApril 7 – 7-Eleven in Corning April 8 – Dunkin Donuts drive-through in Corning April 8 – Traveled from NYC April 8 – Traveled from Queens, NY April 9 – Arby’s drive-through in Bath STEUBEN COUNTY, N.Y. (WBNG) — The Steuben County Health Department gave an update on the coronavirus on Sunday.  Additionally, the health department has provided information regarding exact locations of where individuals tested positive have been. They say this information is collected starting 48 hours before the first symptom. One or more of the individuals reported visiting the following locations: The health department says additional information regarding locations visited while symptomatic was shared by a previously reported positive patient. The health department has reported seven new positive cases of the virus, bringing the total to 154. The health department has provided a list, including where the residents who tested positive live. The individuals are residents of: They also say that management was notified of these cases and closed down their locations to disinfect. April 4 & April 7 – Taco Bell in Hornell Town of BathTown of ErwinTown of Urbana (2) Village of Bath (2)Village of Hammondsportlast_img read more

Read More
Underground Baker delivers ‘COVID cakes’ in unique way

first_img“It’s just been overwhelming, just the support and the comments it’s just more than I imagined.” “We put on tutu’s and crazy costumes. We show up to the house with music blaring, honking, we jump out of the car wearing face masks and gloves, and we run out of the car and present the person with the cake.” Claudia calls them “COVID cakes.” She put the idea on Facebook and the response was overwhelming. It is a business opportunity she never saw coming. BINGHAMTON (WBNG) – Danielle Claudia is the owner of the Underground Baker and had to get creative when COVID-19 started to shut down local businesses. The bakery, which has been in business since 2011, makes these COVID cakes for all different occasions. Claudia offers a delivery process as unique as you could imagine. “Like” Jacob Seus on Facebook and “Follow” him on Twitter. “I saw a bunch of the birthday car parades going by and I said I wonder if those people need a cake,” said Claudia. “I just had a woman the other day, she fell to the ground because she was so happy and surprised.” Underground Bakery is operating with the glass half full. “Graduations, we’re doing mothers day this weekend,” said Claudia. “The orders just started coming in, and it’s been over two weeks, and I have over 100 orders right now.”last_img read more

Read More
N.Y. to allow in-person car sales

first_imgBREAKING-An important step just happened today in re-opening Broome’s economy:“automotive sales conducted remotely or electronically, with in-person vehicle showing, return, and delivery by appointment only”The ability for our car dealerships to do in person sales is HUGE.— Jason Garnar (@jasongarnar) May 7, 2020 In a statement sent to 12 News, Broome County Executive Jason Garnar said this was a step in the right direction to reopening the economy. (WBNG) — New York State will now allow in-person showing of vehicles by appointment. Vehicle sales can now be conducted remotely or electronically with in-person showings, returns and deliveries. The announcement comes from Empire State Development.last_img read more

Read More
Binghamton Police respond to ‘suspicious’ fire, make arrest on Matthews Street

first_imgTwo counts of assault in the 2nd degreeCriminal obstruction breathingObstruction governmental administrationResisting arrest Police officials say upon arrival, they were advised that there may still be people on the second floor of the building.  They say Shofkam pushed one officer and attacked the other. The police department also says he and the officer fell down the second-floor stairs. Additionally, the police department says both officers were treated for injuries at a hospital and were later released. They say the fire is suspicious in nature.  The police department says the officers were able to take Shofkom into custody.  BINGHAMTON (WBNG) — The Binghamton Police Department arrested a suspect after responding to a residential fire that occurred early Friday morning. They say two Binghamton Police Officers began to search for and evacuate residents that were inside.  The suspect was not injured, they say. The Binghamton Police Department says 35-year-old Brian Shofkom of Binghamton was charged with the following: Police officials say while the officers were in the second-floor stairwell, Shofkom approached them from behind. The police department says they responded at approximately 3:19 a.m. and arrived on scene at 193 Matthews St. The Binghamton Police Department asks anyone with information to contact the Binghamton Police Detective Bureau at (607) 772-7080.last_img read more

Read More
The Arena’s search for a new sponsor begins

first_imgCurrently, the Arena is developing the RFP, which Marion says is the most important step and he hopes will be sent out within 30 days. Arena manager Chris Marion says a new deal will not be in place by June 30, because it is a timely process that needs to be done the right way. “Developing the RFP, getting it out to the companies in the area, letting them review it, reviewing the proposals that come back, negotiating a contract, getting approvals and then actually implementing it, it’s quite a bit,” he says. Toward the end of 2019, Maines informed the Arena it would not be renewing the naming rights contract between the two, after a six-year partnership. “Like” Nicole Menner on Facebook and “Follow” her on Twitter. “You want to make sure you are defining exactly what you want to get out of the relationship so the potential sponsor knows what they are getting, the county knows what it’s getting, and we’re all on the same page.” Marion said he expects the entire process to be complete within four to five months, in line with the start of the next Binghamton Devils season. BINGHAMTON (WBNG) — As of June 30, Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena will no longer have “Floyd L. Maines” attached to its name. center_img “We’re looking not just for the company to put their name on our building or logo on our uniforms, but a partner that’s going to really honor the building and its purpose, help us bring more events to the building, and take us through this phase we’re in now and create a building we can be proud of for another 50 years,” said Marion. Amid the coronavirus pandemic, Marion said he is optimistic when they send out the RFP, companies will be interested in a sponsorship. Marion says the Maines contract was worth $75,000, but said “when we put out a proposal, we don’t necessarily put out a minimum number,” adding “obviously the more money that comes in the more we can do with the facility in terms of reducing the property tax support the building receives. “We’re going to take our time, make sure we write the RFP or request for proposal for the next sponsor in a way that meets our goals, the goals of the community, the Veterans Memorial Arena. “There’s a lot of things that need to fall into place when you look at the marketing that goes along with the naming rights. From the physical signage, to the digital signage to the name of the building appearing on printed tickets,” he says. Marion added it is a lengthy process from start to finish. last_img read more

Read More
Binghamton Dollars for Scholars celebrates 20 years

first_img“We understand the value of college, so anytime that we can help our students with a scholarship, it’s only going to help better their education down the road,” said Binghamton High School Principal Kevin Richman. Since 2000, it has awarded scholarships totaling $423,000 to 948 students to help reduce the financial burden of college. The students who receive these scholarships are eligible to get them for four years at an increasing value. It offers awards to students with a grade point average of 72 or above. “We mentor students or stick with them the four years so there will be a continued update where we’re in touch with them, they’re in touch with us, and hopefully we can be a resource for them as well,” said Oberg. “We want to do it, we want the students that received the awards to feel good about our community and come back to our community again,” said Binghamton Dollars for Scholars Co-President Betsy Williams. Because while college is expensive, it’s important. “So the hope is that we will then be able to help them reduce their financial burden,” said Oberg.center_img This year, the organization can offer two additional scholarships, thanks to a matching grant from Scholarship America. “One in honor of Carol Oestrich. A longtime, hardworking, contributor for Dollars for Scholars. And another in memory of Maddie Shaw,” said Binghamton Dollars for Scholars Co-President Roxie Oberg. BINGHAMTON (WBNG) — Binghamton Dollars for Scholars is celebrating 20 years of helping high school students. These two renewable scholarships also allow Binghamton Dollars for Scholars to continue to support the recipients in other ways. “Education is our answer to our problems — I do know that. And that’s what we’re hoping to promote,” said Williams. On Wednesday, June 24, Binghamton Dollars for Scholars board members will drive around to students’ houses to present them with their scholarships in place of the award ceremony that is typically held in person.last_img read more

Read More
7 high school teams declared ‘joint state champions’

first_imgBINGHAMTON (WBNG) — Seven Broome County high school sports teams were declared joint state champions today, after their seasons were cut short in March in the midst of competing in state tournaments. Broome County Executive Jason Garnar said he wanted to recognize each team’s hard work. Seton Catholic’s Marcus Dyes reiterated that, saying ” it was very nice to have the community come together and have an event like this. It was very needed and very uplifting for all of our spirits.” All seven teams were competing in the New York state tournaments when the pandemic put an end to the winter sports season. The Johnson City, Seton Catholic and Binghamton high school boys basketball teams were honored in the first ceremony. The Maine-Endwell girls basketball team, girls and boys bowling teams and Union-Endicott girls bowling teams were honored in the following ceremony. Union-Endicott bowler Ashley Cicciarelli said “I really appreciate them doing this they have honestly no idea how much it means to all of us.” She added, “bowling has been my life constantly for the last 18 years so it was a really nice way to end the chapter.” “For these guys it’s tough, they had their last game they won, and then it was just like taken away from them,” said Garnar. “So to be able to be recognized as the state champion like they were, obviously a lot of them are excited about it but it also gives them some closure to the season, which they didn’t get any.”last_img read more

Read More